Friday, March 18, 2011

Frisky Friday - Punk Rock is not dead

Today I had a sudden realisation. You may recall that my Mac died a few weeks ago and I lost everything (promise this is the last time I will harp on about the bloody mac!). Well, today I realised that I'd lost all my music from years past, music that I firmly believe helped shape me into the person that I am today.

Music has always been a big part of my life. In high school I was a total punk rock kid, listening to Blink 182, New Found Glory, The Starting Line, etc. I'm also a contemporary and classically trained singer/teacher. Fo realz. My brother is a bad ass drummer who also plays guitar, bass, violin and probably many other instruments I am not aware of. And my father taught me everything I know about rock and roll.

I also realised today that no one has ever made me a cake. I've made a bucket load for my friends and families, but have never had a big pretty, fondant covered monstrosity to call my own. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about this fact. If you're going to give someone a cake, I believe it needs to be a work of art and truly represent that person to a T!

Which again, got me thinking (big effin day for KayB!). If I ever got a special cake, what would it be? What would best represent me? Well, I found it. I WANT THIS BABY!!!

(photo by emptysound on Flickr)

Seriously, I am obsessed with The Beatles. Beyond the music and movies, I have numerous books and artworks devoted to the legendary four. They revolutionised rock and roll for the entire industry, and I don't think I've ever heard any artist say 'nah, I wasn't influenced by The Beatles'. I always have music playing while baking and I promise you, I've made some of my best cakes listening to The Beatles.

So, if you could have any type of cake, what would it be?

Just to get you in the mood, here are the rocking and rolling bips and bops;

This is one bad-ass 6 year old birthday cake.. rock on little dude!
Nothing says old school rock like a jukebox cake. Oh how I'd love a jukebox to call my own!
You can't deny that Gene Simmons' face on a cake is kind sexy.. what, just me? I love KISS!
Seriously, this 5 year old either has some wicked advanced design skills or the coolest parents ever. What kind of child gets a three tier, topsy turvy, punk rock, skull encrusted cake?

No comments:

Post a Comment