Sunday, June 7, 2009

Joel's 18th Birthday Cake

As promised.. start at the beginning, which was my Brother Joel’s 18th birthday. Somehow, and I can’t remember how, I stumbled upon a picture of a cake in the shape of a ‘1 up mushroom’ from the Nintendo game Mario Brothers. My brother, being a serious gamer from way back in the day, would love this, I thought to myself.


So, in my quest to become the ultimate domestic goddess (move over Nigella Lawson), I thought I would attempt to make one for him. Being his 18th birthday, it required a special cake, not the usual mud cake that our family INSISTS on buying for each person’s birthday.
Unfortunately I don’t have any decent pictures of the cake, which was accompanied by several ‘mushroom’ cupcakes. But you can kinda see the resemblance.. I guess? (It also included a very cute '18 up' star.. 18th birthday.. 18 up.. get it!)



I was planning on covering the cake with marzipan, but I needed a pure white for the mushroom base, and being my first ever attempt at a covered cake I had no idea how to make it from scratch! But rejoice for Google, as I found a recipe for Marshmallow Fondant! Hurrah!


Not only does it taste better than marzipan, it is super dooper easy to make. And in keeping with the super dooper easy theme of this cake, I used a packet butter cake mix! I’m sure any cake decorator will probably banish me to hell now for admitting that, BUT everyone loved it, and my mum (whose birthday was coming up next) even requested the same cake for her birthday! (just not in the shape of a mushroom, obviously..).

No comments:

Post a Comment